You have not yet bookmarked any content. Click the "Add to collection" link when viewing a spec or list or specs to add to this list.
Banner Audio/Video Guidelines
The specifications below apply to audio and video delivery in banner advertisements only and do not address In Stream, Transitional or custom video opportunities.
File Size Requirements
Initial Load Size for a Banner unit or Floating unit should follow AMN specifications. Video File Size can be up to Maximum of 2.4 MB for Broadband delivery and 500KB for Narrowband video for progressive download on user click.
The asset must contain visible user interface media controls. Mute and either Pause or Stop required
Acceptable Banner Formats
AOL only accepts video advertising provided from certified rich media vendors.
(A) Flash-based video (for more information on flash based video, please visit Macromedia's site) Vendors: Atlas, Doubleclick Rich Media, MediaMind, Pointroll, Flashtalking, Interpolls, AOLRM
- Embedded video within SWF files – NOT SUPPORTED
- True Streaming – The most complete, consistent, and robust delivery option is to stream video and audio files from a server running Flash Communication Server.
- Progrssive Download – upon USER-Click only.
(B) JAVA / QuickTime Based Video – NOT SUPPORTED
(C ) MTS Video
- Pre-loader file size up to Initial Load Size for Banner unit or Floating unit using AMN specifications
- Pre-cache minimum of 20% of video file.
- Pre-caching method must use "polite" loading technology
- Must have bandwidth detection to support users on various connection speeds:
- 115 kbps and above = Host-initiated video experience
- Below 115 kbps = User-initiated / back-up graphic (GIF, JPEG) / or appropriately encoded Host-initiated video
Video Initiation may be Host Initiated or User Initiated by Click.
Length is up to 30 seconds for standard banner opportunities.
- Up to Max Floating or Transitional time for Floating or Transitional Units (typically 15 sec max on host floating)
- AOL Games 500x350 Introduction Ad has a length of 15 seconds.
No host audio.
Audio must be user-initiated by click or mouse-over. If initiated by mouse-over, audio may only start after a one (1) second delay and must stop upon mouse-off.
- EXCEPTION: AOL Games 500x350 Introduction and Intermission Ad allows host-initiated audio (Open to all vendors)
Full Screen Video
- A Full-Screen Experience utilizing Windows Media Video may be provided only to users with the appropriate Windows Media Player, Operating System, and broadband connection speed. The full screen experience must be user initiated by click and the call to action should only be made available once it is confirmed the user has the capability. The advertisement should never prompt the user to download any software nor provide broken links.
There is no frequency cap on the video experience for standard banner inventory.
- AOL Welcome Screen and AOL .com Portal Homepage Video Ads have a frequency cap of one host initiated video experience per user per day
- AIM Buddy Video Unit is frequency capped at a maximum of 1 exposure per unique per 6 hours, and 2 per campaigns per day.
- AIM Buddy Expandable Video Unit is frequency capped 1 host-initiated exposure per unique per day per creative.
All creatives should be thoroughly tested in all major browsers and operating system combinations and a functioning experience should be delivered to all environments.
AOL Media Networks click tracking should only be added to the action following a hyperlink within an advertisement or editorial content to another Web site or another page within the Web site.
Creative Submission Process
Please work with your Operations contact to determine the best process for submitting artwork.
Questions – For questions on ad specs, or support for an existing campaign, call 1 (866) 265-7867 and select Option 4